Chelmsford PAT Testing
Chelmsford PAT Testing 

Chelmsford PAT Testing - Based in Essex

Thanks for stopping by. Have a look around and get to know all about appliance testing.


From our office in Chelmsford, Essex we are able to offer portable appliance testing servies to private and business customers throughout the South East of England.


We are also happy to provide quotations to schools, councils and other organisations. 


Appliance Testing from Chelmsford Essex
Ring now on 01245 206 206

Basildon Billericay Braintree Brentwood Chelmsford Colchester Dunmow Epping Grays Harlow Ilford Maldon Southend Witham

No charge is made to travel to the above areas from our Essex base.

Office and Warehouse Portable Appliance Testing (PAT Testing for Businesses)

Portable Appliance Testing is a process by which electrical appliances in a company or organisation are checked to see if they are safe.  This is more commonly known as PAT Testing.  It is important to remember that PAT Testing is a process which determines whether or not an appliance is safe to use, and it could save lives or avert serious damage to property.


Remember each job will be different, whether a school, office, factory unit or property let and by asking the question why should appliance testing be carried out, ask who should and would this affect?  It is the safety of staff and electrical user and if a visit by the Health and Safety Executive, the Fire Officer or even the Insurance Company takes place a fire safety certificate could be declined, insurance could be declined and should somebody be injured Health and Safety could prosecute.  


The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 places such an obligation in the following circumstances:

  • Where appliances are used by employees.
  • Where appliances are repaired or serviced.
  • Where appliances are supplied or hired.
  • Where the public may use appliances in establishments such as hopsitals, schools, hotels, shops, etc.


Latest Government Guidelines


Last year presented some new guidelines by Health and Safety Executive on how items should be maintained and how often testing should occur. 


It was noted that electrical items may not pose a high risk in certain business areas and in other circumstances items may be considered more dangerous. This is still a grey area and ultimately down to business owners as to how they manage their electrical equipment.


A portable appliance test is not just the testing of items in itself but it also provides you with a record of all electrical equipment on site and proof that you are maintaining that equipment each year. 


We have noted recently businesses do not want to have their electrical items tested because the government said so. This is not a fact.


What we, along with the government want to make sure is that electrical appliances in low risk areas are still maintained (usually by visual inspection). This means that they may not need to have a full PAT test carried out. 


For high risk sectors such as schools, nurseries and care homes it is still of paramount importance that electrical items are maintained on a yearly basis as these areas are considered high risk areas. 


Some main influences on whether you have your PAT testing carried out can be, your insurance company, fire officer or other health and safety personnel.


For example, should an electrical fire take place at your premises and your insurance company can prove you have not been maintaining the electrical equipment on site, they may decide not to pay out on a claim. This can obviously have a catastrophic effect on business.


We would be more than happy to discuss your individual requirement regarding PAT testing and offer advice on how might be the best way to keep a comprehensive record of all electrical items whilst making sure unnecessary tests are not carried out.


Call us today on 01245 206206 for more information on guidelines of Portable Appliance Testing

More News Stories

Electrical Shocks put Cinema Operator in Court


A cinema operator has been fined after two employees received electric shocks from a popcorn machine.

Manchester Magistrates Court fined Cineworld Ltd. £9,000, plus costs, after two members of staff at its Didsbury multiplex received electric shocks from a machine that keeps popcorn warm.

After one employee received a shock, management were alerted, but failed to isolate the machine or post warning notices to stop staff using it. Later the same day, a second worker was shocked when he turned the machine off.

An investigation by Manchester City Council found the machine had a faulty switch and a panel missing, meaning a live circuit board was exposed. Neither worker was seriously injured by the shocks, but the court heard that they could have been fatal.

Cineworld Cinemas pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

PAT Testing News

Unsafe test equipment leads to HSE fine


The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports that a Leeds firm has been fined for safety failings after a trainee technician needed skin grafts after receiving an electric shock while using unsafe testing equipment.

A 22-year-old Bradford man spent five days in hospital with injuries to his arms and chest after the incident. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and prosecuted Wilson Power Solutions after finding a series of safety failures both in the equipment being used or provided, and in the working practices at the firm.

The court was told the trainee was testing a transformer but the test equipment had exposed conductors at 415 volts. When he touched a connector he received an electric shock. HSE found equipment at a safer low voltage could have been used but it was broken. HSE also identified he had been working inside a test enclosure where the interlocking mechanism had been defeated so power was not cut off when he entered. In addition emergency stop buttons were broken and unusable.

HSE served an enforcement notice on Wilson Power requiring improvements to be made to its safety measures and procedures. The company was fined £6,500, with £647 in costs after admitting a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

After the case, HSE Inspector Julian Franklin said: "This young trainee was given unsafe, inappropriate and poorly maintained equipment to test an electrical transformer with no training or supervision. The firm failed to ensure that risks from a known hazard were controlled and allowed equipment to fall into disrepair, resulting in a potentially life-threatening incident." More details


Fine Imposed on Tool Company


HSE fine for electrical safety breach

A Hertfordshire tool supply company has been told to pay £27,000 for endangering workers after neglecting to maintain electrical systems and equipment.

Watford Magistrates’ Court heard that tools including power hammers and grinding machines, as well as fixed electrical systems, were so poorly maintained that they presented immediate and potentially fatal risks to employees.

The failings were identified by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) during an inspection on 19 November 2009. HSE served four Improvement Notices on the company, including one to improve management arrangements, over an 18 month period.

However, despite two extensions being granted to comply with the terms of the notices, subsequent investigations in 12 Nov 2010 and 7 April 2011 found there were still insufficient arrangements to properly manage risks.

The company was fined a total of £24,000 and ordered to pay £3,000 in costs after admitting a breach of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and for ignoring the management improvement notice.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Peter Burns said: "It is important that companies recognise and acknowledge the risks posed by poorly maintained electrical systems, which could ultimately result in death – as was the real danger here. The best way to ensure that these and other risks are controlled is to have effective management systems in place.”

Microwave Ovens

Have you considered the safety of your microwave ovens? Please ask us to test for leakage, which can be done at the same time as the appliance testing.


April 2012.

PAT Testing Directory PAT Labels PAT Testing Directory
Print Print | Sitemap
© S J Marshall Ltd. Trading As Chelmsford PAT Testing